St. John’s German Evangelical Church was established in the town of Cottleville in 1866 to serve what was then a rural community. In the beginning years, the congregation met in the local school house and in private homes. But in the early 1870s the members built a House of Worship, a Fellowship Hall, and a parsonage on the corner of what is now Hwy. N and Motherhead Road. Those facilities served the congregation and community for over 100 years.
Nationally, in the 1940s and 1950s, the German Evangelical Church went through a series of mergers … first, with the German Reformed Church, later with the Congregational Christian Churches. In 1957 the United Church of Christ was formed, and St. John’s became a member church of that historic union. In 1980 St. John’s UCC moved to its present location at Wolfrum Road and Hwy. 94.
All along the way it has been clear that God’s Spirit has been very much at work in the life of St. John’s, creating, supporting and sustaining this church in both good times and hard times. Those who were born into the church family, along with those who have come in more recent years, have formed a family of faith that seeks to be open and responsive to the continued presence and guidance of Christ’s Spirit.
We trust that as we seek to be the loving and faithful people God calls us to be, that individually and together we shall better connect with God, with one another, and with the people in the community around us.
We do take seriously our purpose to change the world one person at a time by sharing the love and power of Christ with all. To that end we strive to provide experiences of worship, a loving and supportive fellowship, varied opportunities for biblical study and spiritual growth, and many local and global mission and service opportunities that will truly bless not only us and all who come to share in our common life, but all whose lives we touch.